[OSM-Devserver] wow!

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sa Mär 20 20:45:22 CET 2010

Hello Christoph and Stephan,

Christoph, on the Gosmore project page you will see that I also use
overlapping bboxes. But my boxes are of variable size and cover the
whole planet. I don't see much value in doing something special for
Europe e.g. daily updates. Have anyone in the US requested AIO files ?
If yes, we can set up weekly or monthly conversions of my bboxes.

Stephan, using osmosis recursively is no longer necessary. My
bboxSplit program is much faster and never requires more than one
pass.
To compile:
g++ -O2 /osm/gosmore/bboxSplit.cpp -o bboxSplit
To run it:
bzcat /osm/planet-10*.osm.bz2 |  /osm/gosmore/bboxSplit \
   -85.05113   73.12500    9.44906  180.00000 gzip someRegion.osm.gz \
The 4 values are minlat, minlon maxlat and maxlon. If a node is in the
bbox it is included in someRegion. If a way refers to 1 or more nodes
in the bbox it is included in someRegion. If a relation refers to 1 or
more node or way that has already been included in someRegion then
that relation is also include in someRegion. I think osmosis follows
the same rules.

If you don't want to compress the output, change gzip to cat.

You can have as many regions as you like. (I've tested up to 200)

Regards,
Nic