[OSM-Devserver] we need to reduce the server load!

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fr Mär 19 21:14:04 CET 2010

Hello Sven,

This graph tells me that many of the CPUs are idle while Linux is
waiting for something to be swapped in:
http://munin.openstreetmap.de/gauss/gauss-cpu.html

So it looks like we are running too many things at the same time and
have too little RAM. Fortunately we can reduce the amount of RAM
required by running the batch processes in serial. So instead of given
each project it's own cron job, we must have one shell script that
calls the batch processes one at a time. The shell script must 'time'
each process and post the results in a public place. Then we see who
are "good" and who need to optimize more and / or scale back.

A similar idea is to give each batch process a slot (window). A fixed
amount of run time (at night). But filling the slots may not be
straight forward, because the user may want to processes a different
part of the map each night and not all parts of the map may be the
same size.

Personally I don't mind scaling gosmore back a little bit. I killed it
right now. But I do think Gosmore is important because the prebuilt
files now covers the US and it takes time to build a user base there.
(Very few OSM projects cover the US). Gosmore also supports a very
extensive list of OSM tags: Everything from surveillance cameras and
trees to multipolygons and turn restrictions.

Regards,
Nic