[OSM-Devserver] 100 gzip-Prozesse

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Di Feb 9 18:49:11 CET 2010

Ok there were a few (10) zombie processes from a smaller test that I killed.

One osmosis writing to 190 files vs 190 gzips writing to one file each:
Fortunately the free RAM is now much larger, and Linux can buffer the output
for longer, so it can write more after each seek. So it's less seeks.

Linux is quite good at switching between task that communicate by pipes. 12
years ago I did a test and on the same hardware Linux pipes were 5 or 10
times more efficient than Windows messages. With all the multicore and
multiprocessor computers on the market I'm sure a lot of work has been done
to make it efficient so that Linux developers are encouraged to split
processes where possible.