[C3] rC3 - Assembly buildup and tickets

Manfred Stock m-osm at nfred.ch
Tue Dec 22 00:10:24 CET 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 10:31:00AM +0000, Felix Delattre wrote:
> Sharing and working on the code on github is fine, although I'm an opponent
> of these large-company owned coding platforms for collaboration, especially for
> reasons of privacy and inclusiveness (people of some countries are blocked on
> github.com and gitlab.com). On the other side I don't have a good alternative,
> only niches like salsa.debian.org or my own instance on git.delattre.de.

I can share these concerns, which is part of the reason why I usually keep a
copy of repos I push to GitHub on a private server as well ;). Unfortunately, I
don't know any good alternatives, either, but I would actually have an account
on salsa.debian.org - I'm still not sure if this is intended for non-Debian
'work' though... But I think for now it's easiest to keep the main repo on
GitHub, but I'd be happy to mirror it elsewhere and push changes back to GitHub
if somebody who'd like to contribute prefers to not use GitHub.

In the meantime, some more details about rC3 and assemblies have emerged -
among them is the "Maschinenraum" (engine room) which is online now [1]. All
assemblies have been migrated over to this infrastructure where they can be
managed now. One can register rooms (both in the 2D-world and eventually also
BigBlueButton rooms) and also events (which will show up in the rC3 schedule
and which we could likely use to announce e.g. workshops should we organize
something). I've already created a room in the 2D-world using my Git repo with
the map - unfortunately, it does not (yet?) seem possible to change the repo
URL except by deleting and recreating the room.

The backoffice [2] also allows to add other members to the assembly and assign
them a certain role. I don't fully understand all the details, yet, but I think
it would be good if we could add at least one more person with "official
spokesperson" or "manager" role (at the moment, I'm the "official spokesperson"
and a single point of failure, I'd really like to change at least the latter
;)). So if anybody would like to do that, I assume they'd have to create an
account in the "Maschinenraum" [3] and send me their username and which role
they'd like to take on. There's also a (less privileged) 'member' role which
would allow its bearer to register self-organized sessions in the context of
the assembly. If I understand it correctly, members of the assembly can be
publicly shown or also hidden (except for the "official spokesperson").

One last thing for now: In case somebody would like to do an OSM talk (for
example an introduction), there's currently 2 open slots on the (I assume
virtual) RheinRuhrRemote stage that could be filled [4] :). One would likely
have to be relatively quick though, so if somebody's interested, it's likely
best if you go directly to the rocket channel [4] and say so :). I've already
asked a question about the talk format which might have an answer by the time
you get there.

Cheers
Manfred

[1] https://howto.rc3.world/maschinenraum.en.html
[2] https://maschinenraum.rc3.world/backoffice/
[3] https://maschinenraum.rc3.world/backoffice/accounts/signup/
[4] https://rocket.events.ccc.de/channel/openstreetmap

--
"Sometimes insanity is the only alternative"
		-- button at a Science Fiction convention.