[OSM-Bayern] Invitation to Mapping Party

Jehle, Ulrike ulrike.jehle at tum.de
Di Sep 8 18:25:21 CEST 2020

Dear colleagues and Open-Data-lovers,

The Chair of Urban Structure and Transport Planning is organizing a Mapping Party that is going to take place on the 24th of September at 17:00, to which we would like to invite all of you! The motivation of this party is to actively improve the quality of OpenStreetMap (OSM), which is the most prominent example of an open, crowd-sourced and widely used volunteered geographic dataset.

Although the data from OSM is widely used by planners, geographers, and developers there is seen little contribution by these groups to the OSM-project. We want to change that and encourage users, who have not contributed to OSM before, to become part of this vibrant community. Thanks to simple mobile apps and web tools everybody can easily contribute without prior knowledge to OSM.

As mapping together is more fun than mapping alone, we organize the party as a contest, in which two participants can form a group (if you prefer, you can of course also be a 1-person group) and map in a specific area (outside or from home, thus you don't necessarily have to be physically in Munich). After the mapping contest, we will quantify how many contributions were done by each person/group and then determine the winners of the contest. There will be provided vouchers (www.wunschgutschein.de<http://www.wunschgutschein.de>) as awards for each group member of the best groups:

1.       Position: 50 Euro

2.       Position: 25 Euro

3.       Position: 15 Euro
For all participants, we will organize a get-together after the mapping has finished. The location will be communicated a couple days before the mapping party, depending on the weather situation (for the detailed schedule please check the attached invitation).

Preparations:

You don't have to prepare a lot for the mapping contest as we will instruct you briefly via Zoom before the mapping contest starts and we will guide you through the evening. The only things you have to prepare are the following:

·       Register for the mapping party: http://go.tum.de/473444

·       If you don't have an user account at OSM, please create one at: https://www.openstreetmap.org

·       Download the smartphone app "StreetComplete" (if you use Android) or download the app "Go Map!!" (if you use an iPhone)

·       Download the smartphone app "Telegram" and join the following group: https://t.me/joinchat/EpAk7FTRJGw0LkmcSBIveA

·       Charge your phone
Besides this please make sure to join the Zoom Meeting for the introduction in time (17:00-17:45). The Zoom link and further details will follow after the registration.
Everybody is welcome and can join for free. You can also bring your friends and colleagues!
We are looking forward to an awesome mapping party! Don't hesitate to contact us (ulrike.jehle at tum.de<mailto:ulrike.jehle at tum.de>; elias.pajares at tum.de<mailto:elias.pajares at tum.de>) if you have any questions.

Best,
Ulrike & Elias

        [Elias Pajares  Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter    Technische Universität München  Ingenieurfakultät Bau Geo Umwelt  Professur für Siedlungsstruktur und Verkehrsplanung    Arcisstraße 21  80333 München    Tel. +49 89 289 22538  Fax +49 89 289 23840    elias.pajares at tum.de  www.sv.bgu.tum.de] <mailto:elias.pajares at tum.de>

Ulrike Jehle
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin

Technische Universität München
Ingenieurfakultät Bau Geo Umwelt
Professur für Siedlungsstruktur und Verkehrsplanung

Arcisstraße 21
80333 München

Tel. +49 89 289 22447
Fax +49 89 289 23840

ulrike.jehle at tum.de<mailto:ulrike.jehle at tum.de>
www.sv.bgu.tum.de<http://www.sv.bgu.tum.de/>
Interested in Geo Open Accessibility Tool (GOAT)?
www.open-accessibility.org<http://www.open-accessibility.org/>