[OSM-Devserver] we need to reduce the server load!

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Fr Mär 19 21:44:16 CET 2010

Hi!

Am 19.03.2010 19:20, schrieb Sven Geggus:
> The trouble is mainly with data conversion tasks and bulk database
> imports that could be processed in a batch job like manner in future.
>
> Probably its also a problem with the current lack of some kind of batch
> processing scheduler (any hints for a suitable software?).
>
> Currently all these jobs are started by cron when the users thought it
> would be the best time to have them running.
>
> Maybee the two important projects can also get migrated to the
> machine which is currently not yet that busy (wms aka humboldt), but
> I think this would only defer the problem rather than resolving it.

One consideration for the scheduling is when the bulk jobs are running.
This week I tried to do a minor change to the map style - usually a 30
second job - but could not see the result at all because there was a
load of 14-20 on the server and tirex shut rendering down completely.

It would be important to schedule the bulk jobs at night or in the
morning, not at prime time when people are working with the maps and
when the most user requests are coming in.

Of course I would be happy to move the map to a different server. I
think that the requirements of an interactive map are considerably
different from the bulk processing applications. It does not put a heavy
load on the server itself, the requests are more or less randomly
distributed, but it needs fast reaction times. As far as I am concerned,
the map is pretty much stable (except for more adaptions due to tirex)
and could be moved.

bye
           Nop