[OSM-Devserver] 100 gzip-Prozesse

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Di Feb 9 18:26:01 CET 2010

The gzip's are mine. They're niced and ioniced, so I hope they did not cause
any problems.

I need to split the planet into 190 overlapping bboxes, each of which is
"manageable" on a small device like a phone, yet large enough for most
routing queries :
http://dev.openstreetmap.de/gosmore/test

My attempts with osmosis were unsuccessful due to the amount of RAM needed.
If I was just a once off occurrence, I could have used 64-bit osmosis at a
time when the machine is relatively idle. But I would like to do this every
week and I want to be sure it will work every week without being too
disruptive to other users.

So I wrote a new program in C that will only need +- 2GB at the peak. Unlike
osmosis it starts gzip for each output file, but is still much more
efficient. More details on dev list at osm.org

Once my scripts and converters are stable and bug free, the load on the
system will be reduced.