[OSM-Devserver] proposal for a poor mans batch processing system :)

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Di Apr 27 11:28:14 CEST 2010

Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do wonder a bit why you are still claiming this after I have pointed
> out twice the existence of Sun Grid Engine and Torque/PBS, both quite
> capable OpenSource batch processing systems that have packages in
> Ubuntu.

I don't have the time to learn such a system in particular because these
systems seem to be designed with distributed computing in mind which seems
to be overkill to manage limited resources on a singel machine.

I wrote "there are no traditional batch processing systems for Linux" and I
think this is true as far as I can tell. Also a few old handed Unix people
confirmed this.

But anyway, you are welcome to help out with the Installation!

> There are presumably more too (GNUbatch sounds like another
> one). They might turn out to be an overkill for the situation on Gauss

This is exactly what I thought.

Sven

--
"Thinking of using NT for your critical apps?
                                  Isn't there enough suffering in the world?"