[C3] Toot about OSM workshop question

Manfred Stock m-osm at nfred.ch
Sat Dec 12 01:05:17 CET 2020

Hi Rory,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:22:39PM +0100, Rory McCann wrote:
> Hi, does anyone know the answer to this?
> https://mastodon.art/@norwin/105357122174018634

there's nothing fixed, yet, but I think that we could do that. We also just
quickly talked about this at our (not strictly ;)) Swiss OSM meeting. When I
registered the assembly, I also checked a "we want to offer self organized
sessions" checkbox - I haven't found anything about how these are supposed to
be done though. Of course, there's the obvious option of using a Jitsi instance
which is embedded inside the virtual rC3 world - we can place them anywhere in
our WorkAdventure map. We could even create several different such Jitsi
instances that we could use after the introduction for some sort of break-out
session with smaller groups. The other option I see would be using the OSMF BBB
instance for such workshops - the way I understand it, this could be considered
as a use case it is intended for. I have no idea though where we would have to
announce this session such that people actually find us and be there at the
right time, but if self-organized sessions are going to be something officially
promoted, I guess there will be a way - it's probably just not ready yet ;). We
could also add the information to the assembly description, though I don't know
if and where this description will be displayed.

Personally, I'm very much in favor of having some OSM workshops, there was
quite some interest for this at 36C3. I would also be happy to e.g. answer
questions in a smaller break-out session right after the workshop.

Cheers
Manfred

--
Early to bed and early to rise and you'll be groggy when everyone else is
wide awake.